Pages

Thursday 31 May 2012

books

I love this tumblr.  So much.

FUCK YEAH, BOOKS AGAIN, VIA

I'm a book whore.  Will read and reread over and over and I love to get my sticky mitts on something new.  A friend recently suggested I get hold of the short stories of Haruki Murakami.  Wow, these were seriously emotive and just beautifully composed.  After reading them I spent a few days all horrendously introspective and, y'know, DEEP.  I felt incredibly disjointed and weird afterwards; next time I'll dole out the stories one by one instead of swallowing the collection whole like a glutton.  I don't think I've felt that unsettled since I read The Bone People.  You don't get that from a Marian Keyes novel, let me tell you (I'm not bashing Keyes or Murakami or, indeed Keri Hulme - I read and enjoy them all in different ways).

All in all a lengthy way of saying I'm looking for some new booky inspiration for my trip away this week.  Tomorrow evening we're on a plane to Croatia; very much looking forward to it.  I've got my fingers crossed for some sunshine as we are hopping on a boat for a substantial chunk of the trip.  I'm not the most seasoned of yacht passengers, that's for sure.  I will do my level best to keep the vom under control - wish me luck!

Please excuse my bloggy absence for the next week; I shall return with hopefully abundant tales and pictures of interesting people and places. 

In the meantime, lay your fave holiday books on me...

2 comments:

  1. I am v glad to have stumbled upon your blog.. i needed some laughs today, and I found them here :)

    I've forgotten what it's like not to read a text book, but I read 'On Beauty' by Zadie Smith not too long ago, and it was very good.

    From a fellow kiwi x

    foxglovephoto.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found something to laugh at! Zadie Smith is fab - my copy of 'On Beauty' was a purchase from Vietnam and sadly began with the final chapter, but I still very much enjoyed it.

      Love your photography by the way - I can practically feel the warm snorts of breath from the muzzles on your current post.

      Delete

Tell me your deepest secrets. Or your opinion on the Oxford comma. Or your favourite pre-dinner drink. Anything really, as long as it's not mean.