Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

daffodil day

They hover yellowly in my vase, cheerily announcing in a clamourous almost-chorus that spring has arrived.  I sneeze; so has hayfever.  I love them for the first few weeks.

But then the turn of August into September ushers in the plastic stems.  Garish fabric pinned to my chest; a reminder of the cellular mutation of the disease.  The fresh turned into the distorted. 

This is not to say I hate Daffodil Day; on the contrary, the Cancer Society does amazing work and I support them proudly (elsewise; why affix this badge of fake spring?)  It just is what it is, a melancholy reminder of the transience of life in the face of the turning, new season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your deepest secrets. Or your opinion on the Oxford comma. Or your favourite pre-dinner drink. Anything really, as long as it's not mean.