Oh yes, I had a weekend one time. It was really lame. I had a serious case of the sneezles that antihistamines would not move so I made it worse with cheese and wine and wouldn't get off the couch.
OH THAT'S RIGHT! I made meringues on Sunday and they turned out!? Want my recipe? (No you don't but humour me.) This is how I made them:
- Turn the oven on to 140 degrees celcius, bake (NOT grill. I've made that mistake before and it does not end in a delicious roast or unbelievable chocolate cake, I can tell you)
- Grease a baking tray.
- Separate two eggs. Only get a tiny bit of yolk in the white and congratulate self vigorously. Hand yolks to husband who effortlessly uses them to whip a batch of hollandaise, the smug asshole.
- Put whites in a largeish bowl and try and get your electric beater/whisky thing to work because doing it by hand SUCKS. Add a tiny pinch of salt. Beat it until stiff.
- Add 4-5 oz of sugar in 4 lots, beating well between each lot. (Fucked if I know what 4-5 oz converts to - this is Mum's old school meringue recipe. I completely forgot about google and got out the Edmonds cook book to see if I could convert it, found out that 4ish oz is about 125ish grams. Realised I don't have scales. Thought, 'eh, fuck it', got out a measuring jug and decided that 125ish mL of sugar must be roughly equivalent. Thought better of it later and added a little more. Really must buy scales. Actually, I won't bother, I probably won't do this again for another decade.)
- Add a 1/4 tsp of vanilla essence with the third batch of sugar.
- Present husband with whisk for licking.
- Dip (cleanish) finger in liberally.
- When thick and shiny, stick dollops on tray. Get the meringue mix all over your shirt, the oven, the bench, two spoons and a spatula.
- Stick em in the oven for an hour and a half. Resist the temptation to open the door every five minutes.
- Let them cool in the oven for as long as you can stand it. Preferably until cold, but patience is a virtue and I understand.
- I served them with a berry reduction thingamee (berries, honey, splash of water on the stove top - would have used booze but ultimate consumers' allergies had to be accounted for) and some fresh mint and cream (sorbet for the dairy intolerant).
- Make your audience give you the praise you undoubtedly deserve and them make them clean the unholy mess up.
* Broken instagram = locked myself out of my husband's apple account, therefore can't access and can't update the damn thing. Probably a mercy.