Pages

Wednesday 28 March 2012

it's pushed my buttons

A tweet in my timeline last night suggested that what the world doesn't need is the vapid blog meanderings of yet another girl with nothing to say.  Yeah, I recognised some truth in that.  But, truth be told, I don't care.  So.  Well. 

That tweet is not why I'm posting today about serious issues.

I think. 

Anyway, Frank Rich has written an interesting piece in New York Magazine this week about the history of the Republican 'War on Women', which he insists is, in fact, a war on women.  I have to say I'm inclined to agree.  I'm sure people will feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (and I freely admit that my knowledge of the policy history Republicans have taken on women is scant), but I recommend the article as a starting point for thinking about a theory as to why Rush Limbaugh's comments (much derided on this blog) were so widely publicised, instead of being marginalised as over-hyped, shock value schtick. 


SO WHEN I LOOKED FOR A PICTURE TO ACCOMPANY THIS PIECE, I FOUND THE WEIRDEST PROPAGANDA-MERCHANDISE WEBSITE EVER.  I MAY NOT SUPPORT THE REPUBLICANS BUT TRULY THERE ARE SOME ODD (SURELY UNHELPFUL TO THE CAUSE) BUMPER STICKERS FOR SALE THERE. 

AND THEN THE WEBSITE ALSO HAD A SECTION DEVOTED TO THE MOST BIZARRE JANE AUSTEN BUMPER STICKERS EVER: 'MY OTHER CAR IS A BAROUCHE'.

Really, there is just so much to discuss that I'm almost at a loss for where to start.  Some of these fights; I just can't believe that we're facing them again.  You might say that I should be focussing on the issues that affect New Zealand (and an overt war on women isn't one of them; I suggest this NY Times opinion piece for an interesting, if simplified, explanation of the Kiwi political spectrum).  Yet I can't help being concerned that as a small nation, we often pick up on foreign issues as a sort of 'political hangover', particularly those expounded in Australia, the US and the UK.  And this topic pushes my buttons, plain and simple. 

But don't mind me; I'm now off to pick up another contraceptive prescription funded by the tax payer.  Guilt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your deepest secrets. Or your opinion on the Oxford comma. Or your favourite pre-dinner drink. Anything really, as long as it's not mean.